If you think you may have a gas leak, evacuate your home and call 911 immediately.
Signs of a gas leak can include the following:
- The aroma of sulfur or “rotten eggs”
- Hissing or blowing sounds from appliances attached to the gas line, such as gas stoves, or sounds from the gas source itself
- Dead or discolored grass, plants or other vegetation
- Residents of the home complaining about symptoms such as dizziness, nausea or fatigue
If you have any of these signs and are thinking they may be due to a gas leak, leave your home and call 911 immediately, followed by your utility company.
There are cases where the utility company will fix a gas leak, but in a lot of instances the homeowner is liable. Fortunately, the professionals at Becht / Givens Service Experts are highly trained to install or repair gas lines and we pride ourselves on getting the job done correctly, and more importantly, safely. Not to mention that all our work is covered with our 100% Satisfaction Guarantee*!
GAS LINE REPAIR IS SOMETHING YOU SHOULD NEVER TRY AS A DIY PROJECT.
While there are a ton of things to do around the house that homeowners choose to take on by themselves, gas line repair should to be left up to the experts. It is the only way to ensure that your gas lines are both safe and effective, as well as up to all Louisville codes.
From installing gas lines for a new stove or oven to doing repairs on gas lines for a heater in your garage, Becht / Givens Service Experts’s years of experience have allowed us to take on a host of gas line projects in the Louisville community, so no job is too much for our team.
Gas Leak and Carbon Monoxide Safety
As mentioned before, the first thing you need to do if you are nervous about a gas leak is leave your home and then call 911 promptly. After emergency responders are on their way, reach out to your utility company.
Once the emergency responders and utility company have made certain there is no danger, call Becht / Givens Service Experts to schedule a gas line repair, installation or replacement.
Poisonous gases, including natural gas and carbon monoxide, ought to be taken very seriously. Make sure you have carbon monoxide detectors installed in your home and call 911 promptly if you’re ever concerned about a gas leak or carbon monoxide in your home. Unlike natural gas, carbon monoxide won’t have an odor and can’t be easily detected. The EPA recommends these steps to lower exposure to carbon monoxide:
- Keep gas appliances correctly adjusted.
- Invest in and take advantage of an exhaust fan vented to outdoors over gas stoves.
- Open flues when fireplaces are in use.
- Have a well-versed professional inspect, clean and tune up your central heating systems (including furnaces, flues and chimneys) annually and repair any leaks immediately.
For more tips on how to safely heat your home and avoid carbon monoxide issues, check out our blog.