What is carbon monoxide?

Carbon monoxide (CO) is an invisible, odorless and tasteless gas. It’s created by insufficient fuel combustion usually caused by a lack of oxygen. In your home, appliances that need natural gas, charcoal, wood or kerosene are vulnerable. Especially if they are not working correctly or have been installed improperly.

Vehicle exhaust fumes from attached garages, as well as poorly operating fireplaces can also create carbon monoxide. CO is poisonous to the body and is lethal at high levels or with extended exposure.