Every year over 20,000 people visit the ER due to carbon monoxide poisoning. This odorless and colorless gas is referred to as the silent killer because it’s virtually undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, according to the CDC, is given off by stoves, gas ranges, boilers, furnaces, and fireplaces so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning increases during the heating months when people are trying to warm their homes. To help keep your family safe, Becht/Givens Service Experts is here with some tips to safety heat your home.
- Place a CO detector on all floors of your home and swap out the batteries every year.
- Keep all likely sources of combustion, such as clothing, rugs, or bedding, at least three feet away from furnaces, space heaters, fire places, or stoves.
- Before starting a fire in the fireplace, make sure you check to verify the chimney damper is open and unblocked.
- Do not leave portable heaters or fireplaces unattended. Turn off space heaters and ensure all embers in the fireplace are fully extinguished before going to bed or leaving home.
- Space heaters should always be placed on the floor, and on a hard, fire-resistant surface, like ceramic tile. Keep children and animals away from space heaters.
- When purchasing a new space heater, purchase a model that powers off automatically if the heater tumbles over.
- Do not use a oven to heat your home.
- Have fireplaces, chimneys, gas or oil furnaces, and coal and wood stoves professionally checked and cleaned annually.
The ideal thing you can do for your furnace is to ensure it’s not only ready to keep your home warm all winter but also safe, is to schedule your furnace tune-up. During your heating tune-up, Becht/Givens Service Experts will check to be sure your heating equipment is operating safely with a total multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 502-785-8230 today and ask how you can save on a furnace tune-up through November 25th.