Why Is My Air Conditioner Making A Noise?
Hearing odd noises when your air conditioner is on? There's probably something wrong with your system. If you don’t fix it, it could lead to significant—and expensive—issues down the road. We're going to help you find out what’s occurring with your air conditioner and what you can do to fix it.
8 Common Air Conditioning Noises
- Gurgling - Gurgling normally indicates an issue with your refrigerant line. If you can't pinpoint where the noise is coming from, that's alright. A professional can help verify where this noise is occurring. You can read more information on our gurgling noises guide.
- Crackling - Crackling could result from debris in the unit or aging ductwork. Debris in the outdoor unit will create a noise outside your house. Mature ductwork can cause noise inside your house. Read our crackling noise guide for more information.
- Hissing - Hissing can be created by a faulty refrigerant line, an internal valve leak or the compressor. Peruse our hissing noise guide for more info.
- Buzzing - Buzzing is no doubt an electrical issue. Read our buzzing noise guide for additional information.
- Clicking - Clicking can indicate you have a loose part or that the fan is misaligned. You can find more information in our clicking noise guide.
- Pulsating - Pulsating can come from a loose part. Take a look at our pulsating noise guide for more information.
- Loud Noise - A noticeable noise from your external unit can indicate an issue with your compressor, damper, fan or air handler. Check out our loud noise guide for additional information.
- Humming - Humming can arise from fan motor issues or a damaged relay switch. Read through our humming noise guide for more information.
You can find further information about prevalent air conditioning troubles on energy.gov
Should I keep using my system when it’s making a noise?
There are limited cases where you can continue to run your AC, but you do so at your own risk. It's almost impossible to answer this question without inspecting your system.
Usually, we recommend turning the unit off and bringing in a professional.
When should I do something about the noise?
We recommend calling a professional as soon as you recognize there's something wrong with your system. While AC repairs can be stressful and an unexpected expense, it's smart to get problems corrected right away. Getting a professional could help minimize future expenses and keep your system running longer.
Not sure if your air conditioner is making any of these noises? Please fill out the form below for a free, in-home consultation.