Your air conditioner’s purpose is keeping the air in your home cool, which means that any time you allow heat back in your home, you’re making the air conditioner work harder than need be. While the air conditioner is your main source for cooler air, there are a few things you can do, outside of air conditioner service, to help keep the Louisville heat out and help your air conditioner last throughout the final days of summer.
Here are a few tips from Becht/Givens Service Experts to help keep hot air out of your home:
- Block out the sun. Quite a bit of heat makes its way into your home through your windows. Keep it out by using solar screens, tinted windows and blackout curtains. At minimum, buy blinds and keep them closed.
- Seal air leaks. The spaces in your home that are air conditioned should be as air-tight as possible. Check out your crawlspace, basement or attic for major air holes like these in the building envelope. We can arrange for a high-tech comfort performance assessment for you to identify leaks in walls, ceilings and ducts.
- Check for leaky doors and windows. Look at your windows and doors and add or replace caulk or weather-stripping that may be torn or revealing signs of wear.
- Try no-cook or served-cold meals. Your stove and oven add a lot of heat in your home. Try some no-cook meals and use your microwave versus your stove or oven.
- Run the dishwasher and dryer at night. Save any household activities that could generate heat for evenings after the temperature outside drops. You can also let your dishes and clothes air dry and give those appliances a rest.
- Provide window coverage outside the home. Awnings over windows and doors can help block the sun’s direct heat. Trees can also offer shade and deflect some of the heat.
- Get a free air conditioner consultation. The ultimate impact on heat is a new air conditioning system evaluation. After learning about new air conditioner systems, technology and options, the best option might simply be an air conditioner upgrade.
If you don’t feel like your home is keeping cool temperatures despite following the tips listed above, it could mean that you need air conditioner service or repair. Air conditioner maintenance is one of the best ways to make certain that your equipment is working as it should be and that you are getting optimal efficiency and results. Don’t stay uncomfortable longer than need be. Give Becht/Givens Service Experts in Louisville or set up an appointment online to have a professional check out your air conditioner and make sure it’s operating correctly.