Your air conditioner’s purpose is keeping your home’s air cool, which means that any time you allow heat back in your home, you’re making the air conditioner work harder than need be. While the air conditioner is your main source for cooler air, there are a few things you can do, other than of air conditioner service, to help keep the Louisville heat out and help your air conditioner last throughout the final days of summer.
Here are a few tips from Becht/Givens Service Experts to help keep hot air outside:
- Block out the sun. A lot of heat makes its way into your home through your windows. Keep it out by using solar screens, tinted windows and blackout curtains. At minimum, buy blinds and keep them closed.
- Seal air leaks. The spaces in your home that are air conditioned should be as air-tight as possible. Check out your crawlspace, basement or attic for major air holes like these in the building envelope. We can arrange for a sophisticated comfort performance assessment for you to uncover leaks in walls, ceilings and ducts.
- Check for leaky doors and windows. Look at your windows and doors and add or replace caulk or weather-stripping that looks to be torn or revealing signs of wear.
- Try no-cook or served-cold meals. Your stove and oven add a lot of heat in your home. Try some no-cook meals and use your microwave versus your stove or oven.
- Run the dishwasher and dryer at night. Save any household activities that could generate heat for evenings after the temperature outside cools off. You can also let your dishes and clothes air dry and let those appliances rest.
- Provide window coverage outside the home. Awnings over windows and doors can help shield the sun’s direct heat. Trees can also provide shade and repel some of the heat.
- Get a free air conditioner consultation. The ultimate impact on heat is a new air conditioning system evaluation. After hearing about new air conditioner systems, technology and options, the best option might simply be an air conditioner upgrade.
If you don’t feel like your home is keeping cool temperatures despite following the tips we’ve listed, it could mean that you need air conditioner service or repair. Air conditioner maintenance is one of the best ways to make certain that your equipment is working as it should be and that you are getting top efficiency and results. Don’t stay uncomfortable longer than need be. Give Becht/Givens Service Experts in Louisville or set up an appointment online to have a professional check out your air conditioner and make sure it’s operating properly.