There are a multitude of vapors that could be within your Louisville home. Natural gas and fumes that come from residential fixtures, carpet and paints. Not a one of these fumes are as hazardous as carbon monoxide.
Reach Becht/Givens Service Experts at 502-785-8230 now to get started shielding your family against this dangerous gas.
Why is Carbon Monoxide so Detrimental to Your Health?
Carbon monoxide may be a big deal, so it’s not something to mess around with.
1. You Can’t See It
Carbon monoxide is so unsafe because you aren’t able to see it, sense it with your nose or detect it with your taste buds. It’s not as dangerous in low concentrations and can’t be filtered.
2. It Can Be Deadly Within Minutes
Carbon monoxide is a byproduct of used fuel. It can filter into your residence during the winter if the heat exchanger on your gas furnace breaks. Depending on how big the leak is and the circulation in a residence, it may become lethal in just a few minutes.
Once inhaled, carbon monoxide has a half-life of about five hours. If you are taking in fresh air, it requires five hours to take it out of your bloodstream. It will take another five hours to decrease that concentration by half.
3. Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Can Mimic Other Illnesses
The gas can also mimic conditions that can be misdiagnosed as the flu, viral infections and chronic fatigue syndrome, among other illnesses.
How to Guard Your Residence from Carbon Monoxide
There’s no reason to risk carbon monoxide poisoning.
Here are three precautions you can do to keep your residence safe:
- Each residence with at least one fuel-burning appliance, attached garage or fireplace should have a carbon monoxide system. It’s necessary to have an alarm on each level of your residence, including the basement and garage. You also need to install one inside or outside of all bedrooms. Aren’t using a carbon monoxide system in your residence?
Call Becht/Givens Service Experts at 502-785-8230 to buy one. Ask our specialists about our affordable Wi-Fi carbon monoxide alarms.
- If you presently have a carbon monoxide alarm, consistently look at or swap out the batteries. You should test batteries every season, and buy a new alarm every three to five years.
- If your carbon monoxide detector sounds, get out of your residence without delay and call 911.
Keep Your Family Safe with Help from Becht/Givens Service Experts
Carbon monoxide doesn’t have to be terrifying, and with the right precautions your residence can be protected from the hazardous gas. Take the precautions and call Becht/Givens Service Experts at 502-785-8230 to learn more.