How to Protect Your Home in Extreme Cold
It’s cold outside. Much of the country is layering up for some below freezing temps. And while the Experts are always eager to help, we’ve got a few HVAC and plumbing tips to help you avoid those winter weather emergencies.
- Disconnect all exterior water fixtures.
- Insulate exposed pipes and outdoor fixtures.
- A slow drip in indoor bathrooms and sinks by outer walls can keep pipes from freezing.
- Open up kitchen and bathroom cabinets underneath sinks to keep warm air moving around pipes.
- Maintain an indoor temperature of at least 68 degrees (and warmer if possible).
- Get those space heaters ready by checking them for proper operation.
- If you’ve got vents shut in unused rooms, now is the time to open them.
- If your furnace is not functioning, contact the Experts for heating repairs or consider a new furnace install.
- Last but not least, give each of your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors a quick inspection.
Follow these quick tips to keep your HVAC and plumbing warm and working. Then make yourself some hot cocoa. And, as always, Becht/Givens is here for you. If you’ve got questions, concerns or problems, don’t hesitate to call.