How to Protect Your Family from Carbon Monoxide
Quite a few common household appliances release carbon monoxide
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that may build to dangerous levels in your home when fuel-burning devices are not properly vented, operated or maintained. Inhalation of CO can cause carbon monoxide poisoning which attacks the nervous system, heart and could be fatal. It’s crucial to have your home tested for carbon monoxide regularly to help ensure safe air quality.
Common sources of CO in homes include certain:
- Space heaters
- Water heaters
- Clothes dryers
What do you know about CO?
Our survey results reveal the unsettling lack of information homeowners have about the dangers of carbon monoxide:
- 66% don’t know if they would know the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning (headache, nausea, dizziness, or confusion).
- 94% of homeowners know that the furnace can discharge deadly carbon monoxide gas, but more than half (54%) don’t get an annual furnace tune-up, a simple step that can help ensure correct furnace operation and venting.
- 54% don’t know the preferred place in the home to install a carbon monoxide detector (the Consumer Product Safety Commission says a detector outside of each separate sleeping area).
- More than half of homeowners (54%) don’t know that the clothes dryer may be a source of carbon monoxide; 25% don’t know that that fireplace also could be a source. Other possible sources include gas water heaters, gas ranges, charcoal grills, gas space heaters and wood burning stoves.
- Over one third of homeowners (34%) don’t have or can’t be sure if they have a carbon monoxide detector in their home; 41% say they never replace their carbon monoxide detector, or they aren’t sure how often it is changed.
Determine your home’s CO risk
With a basic home comfort analysis, Becht/Givens Service Experts in Louisville could help keep your family safe this winter. Visit ServiceExperts.com/CO-Safety, call 502-785-8230 or use our online scheduler to set up an analysis of CO and other harmful indoor air pollutant levels.